Friday, June 12, 2015

POUR / seven spoons baking


There was a cool breeze coming through my kitchen window and the air softly kissed my cheek. These moments, oh these moments. I love the warmth that an oven creates in a small kitchen. I love that I can smell coconut about to start baking. I love that in a hour I will get to fully indulge in something delicious. Today, take a moment, think of something that you crave and indulge in it.

This recipe was adapted on the Seven Spoons blog. Tara O'Brady's blog is a recent discovery and I cannot get enough. She has such poignant and beautiful things to say about food, family, and everyday thoughts. She has also just written her first cookbook, affectionally called Seven Spoons, I hope to add it to my bookshelf soon.

Bill Granger's Coconut Bread
adapted from the original

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
Seeds scraped from half a vanilla bean (I substituted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
2 1/2 cups flour, more dusting for pan
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup superfine sugar
5 ounces flaked coconut (around 1 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Soft butter for greasing the pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla seeds. Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the sugar and coconut. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and slowly add the egg mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in the melted butter, being careful not to overmix.

Grease and flour a 8x4 inch loaf pan. Pour in the batter and bake un the preheated oven until the loaf is golden and a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, around 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in its pan for five minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack. Position is again side up to cool a bit more.

Slice thickly and toast or serve as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment